Mis-information (FYI)

I Ching content, versions, practices and anything related to it.

Moderator: laotan

NonTien

Mis-information (FYI)

Post by NonTien »

These statements have not been found to be true:

1) At roughly 5000 years of age, the Zhouyi (the oldest layer of the I Ching) is the world's oldest book.

2) The I Ching is founded upon a philosophy which describes Change as a product of the interaction of the two universal forces known as Yin and Yang.

3) The original and primary intent of the I Ching is to divine the future or to foretell one's destiny. Only centuries later did it become a philosophical treatise and a handbook used to inform ethical behavior.

4) The Ten Wings (which, together with the original text, or the Zhouyi, constitute the I Ching) are a reliable introduction to the thought processes of the original authors and present the dimensions of thought which explain the origin of the words of the text and its prognostications.

5) Modern academic scholars, armed with a formidable array of tools from such scientific methods as archaeology, etymology and context criticism, are becoming grounded in an unprecedented degree of certainty and are now well on their way to a new and more enlightened understanding of what the original authors were actually writing about.

6) No evidence exists to support the existence of the Ba Gua or Trigrams at the time the original Zhouyi was written. These did not come into being until the Spring and Autumn period of the Eastern Zhou, centuries later.

7) The key to understanding the I Ching lies in the comprehension of its graphic forms and their geometrical and numerical interrelationships. The words of the text are merely derived from these formal elements.

8) The key to understanding the I Ching lies in the comprehension of its words, their meanings, and the social and moral principles which it describes. The graphics are primarily a way of organizing and filing these thoughts.

laotan

Re: Mis-information (FYI)

Post by laotan »

But yes, most of them are true. For example, I Ching was used as prediction tool. It is one of the most ancient books of the world and one of the most important i nChinese antique culture. The fact that it is ascribed to Fu Hsi says much about its antiquity. You may find I Ching everywhere in the ancient China's social, political and cultural realms.

NonTien

Post by NonTien »

My source of this information is from;

"The Book of Changes"
Word for Word
Two Literal English Translations
One Simple, One Complex
The Chinese Text and a Pinyin Transscription
by Bradford Hatcher 2003
Version 03.4
Section A: Introduction
paragraph 5

It also says;
Comments, corrections, criticisms, contributions and donations may be sent to:
Brad Hatcher
503 Charles, PO Box 404
Ridgway, CO, 81432, USA

I am not critical of his writing or anyone else's writing - I am only presenting information I have come across in my studies of Taoism over the last 40+ years.

laotan

Post by laotan »

NonTien wrote:My source of this information is from;

"The Book of Changes"
Word for Word
Two Literal English Translations
One Simple, One Complex
The Chinese Text and a Pinyin Transscription
by Bradford Hatcher 2003
Version 03.4
Section A: Introduction
paragraph 5

It also says;
Comments, corrections, criticisms, contributions and donations may be sent to:
Brad Hatcher
503 Charles, PO Box 404
Ridgway, CO, 81432, USA

I am not critical of his writing or anyone else's writing - I am only presenting information I have come across in my studies of Taoism over the last 40+ years.
Yes, I know of his book and once I had to sent him a message as for the stupidities written about the I Ching and its translation. He reply with "go to the matrix version and see what it is". You perhaps should read the book of Richard Rutt (excluding his translation which is not the most accurate).

NonTien

Post by NonTien »

laotan wrote:
Yes, I know of his book and once I had to sent him a message as for the stupidities written about the I Ching and its translation. He reply with "go to the matrix version and see what it is". You perhaps should read the book of Richard Rutt (excluding his translation which is not the most accurate).
He who knows perfection does not seek, does not lose, does not reject...He finds inexhaustible resources - and following the Way - he does not suffer emotional strain.

laotan

Post by laotan »

NonTien wrote:
laotan wrote:
He who knows perfection does not seek, does not lose, does not reject...He finds inexhaustible resources - and following the Way - he does not suffer emotional strain.
Then how do you explaion the title of your post: Mis-information? According to your saying you should find "inexhaustible resources" and "do not reject"...

NonTien

Post by NonTien »

Again - I am not being critical of his writing or anyone else's writing - I am only presenting information I have come across in my studies of Taoism over the last 40+ years. I was not the one who labeled this information as false - Bradford Hatcher was.

laotan

Post by laotan »

NonTien wrote:Again - I am not being critical of his writing or anyone else's writing - I am only presenting information I have come across in my studies of Taoism over the last 40+ years. I was not the one who labeled this information as false - Bradford Hatcher was.
Then he doesn't know perfection - in your short definition - thus it is not a credible author.

NonTien

Post by NonTien »

You, Sir, are the most critical Taoist I have ever encountered. I am not stating whether that is a good attribute or a bad attribute - but I have never encountered another Taoist who is so quick to dismiss the writings or intensions of other Taoist or authors.

laotan

Post by laotan »

NonTien wrote:You, Sir, are the most critical Taoist I have ever encountered.
When you practice you develop your inner sense of the truth. As I know all Taoist Masters were interested in criticism (Chuang tzu for example, but he is not the only one) and would involve in debate with all their hearts. Their books and life records are full of such debates (see the meeting beetween Lao tzu and Confucius for instance). As you may see I am not the most critical, but just one of the critical Taoists.