About the Masters

Discuss about Lao-tzu, Chuang Tzu and Lieh-tzu, their biographies and works.

Moderator: laotan

laotan

About the Masters

Post by laotan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:05 pm

The skilful masters (of the Tao) in old times, with a subtle
and exquisite penetration, comprehended its mysteries, and were deep
(also) so as to elude men's knowledge. As they were thus beyond men's
knowledge, I will make an effort to describe of what sort they
appeared to be.

Shrinking looked they like those who wade through a stream in
winter; irresolute like those who are afraid of all around them; grave
like a guest (in awe of his host); evanescent like ice that is melting
away; unpretentious like wood that has not been fashioned into
anything; vacant like a valley, and dull like muddy water.

(from Tao te Ching, 15, Legge).

NonTien

Re: About the Masters

Post by NonTien » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:03 pm

An old Taoist one day was approached by the townspeople. He was accused of impregnating the neighbor girl, then who was only 14 years old. He replied, "Is this so?"

The townspeople decided he should take the girl in and raise her and the child for this act.

Ten years later, the girl confronted the towns people meeting and admitted she had lied and that the old Taoist was indeed NOT the father of her child. So the towns people went back to the old man and told him the girl had lied and that he would no longer be responsible for her well being - and she would have to move out of his home.

And the old Taoist responded, "Is this so?"

laotan

Post by laotan » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:59 am

NonTien wrote:An old Taoist one day was approached by the townspeople. He was accused of impregnating the neighbor girl, then who was only 14 years old. He replied, "Is this so?"

The townspeople decided he should take the girl in and raise her and the child for this act.

Ten years later, the girl confronted the towns people meeting and admitted she had lied and that the old Taoist was indeed NOT the father of her child. So the towns people went back to the old man and told him the girl had lied and that he would no longer be responsible for her well being - and she would have to move out of his home.

And the old Taoist responded, "Is this so?"
This is a stupid Taoist as his indifference to the accusation of his felowpeople may cost him his life or freedom. Taoist people follow the Tao and not their own ego or ideas kept dear. If a Taoist thinks he must be indifferent to the world he lives in, then he is not a Taoist but rather a monastic person. He perhaps practices the retirement. But even so there's no place for him in that hometown.

WelshTao

Post by WelshTao » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I have seen this story before but the Taoism man was a Zen Buddhist monk! That is interesting! :)
Still, moral of the story is don't let life upset you, wish I could have some of that! :D

WelshTao

Post by WelshTao » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Must admit I do love the old masters - lao tzu (if he did exist and was the way they say he was) must have just been this ridiculously cool and deep guy, would have loved to have shared a pot of green tea with him! Chaung tzu comes across as a bit of a nutjob to be honest, and I love him for that, he must have just shook the hell out of people with his teachings! I know about Lieh Tzu but not much, I have heard somewhere that Chaung Tzu may have made him up or not even been a real guy. Still, from the stories he seems quite relatable and innocent, and he probably would have been quite a nice and enthusiastic guy about Taoism. Shame they dont make em like they used to! Id go back in a time machine and visit them if I could :)

laotan

Post by laotan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:47 am

WelshTao wrote:Must admit I do love the old masters - lao tzu (if he did exist and was the way they say he was) must have just been this ridiculously cool and deep guy, would have loved to have shared a pot of green tea with him! Chaung tzu comes across as a bit of a nutjob to be honest, and I love him for that, he must have just shook the hell out of people with his teachings! I know about Lieh Tzu but not much, I have heard somewhere that Chaung Tzu may have made him up or not even been a real guy. Still, from the stories he seems quite relatable and innocent, and he probably would have been quite a nice and enthusiastic guy about Taoism. Shame they dont make em like they used to! Id go back in a time machine and visit them if I could :)
I am not sure they been aware of being Taoists or following the Tao. This is the problem with Taoist masters: they don't look like masters! Lieh Tzu is very shy, and Chuang Tzu couldn't do with a court job. Lao Tzu left the court and wrote Tao... to the suggestion of the pass Guardian. He didn't like being a Taoist.

BrianD108

Post by BrianD108 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm

In a way ,Taoist, Buddhist, are all titles we have sort of applied to define people. The Buddha wasn't Buddhist, he was just simply himself. I think Lao Tzu might fit that bill as well.
What do you think ?

laotan

Post by laotan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm

BrianD108 wrote:In a way ,Taoist, Buddhist, are all titles we have sort of applied to define people. The Buddha wasn't Buddhist, he was just simply himself. I think Lao Tzu might fit that bill as well.
What do you think ?
People keep these titles dear. They are members of Taoist societies or adepts of influential gurus and so forth. They need the power these titles seem to give them. Moreover when they hear about the Tao they believe that Tao is the same as their imaginary dream of Tao and try to capture it by becoming Taoists. This is why Chuang Tzu urged his disciples to be Taoists, not to behave like Taoists. You know what I mean.

bowie013LENNON

Post by bowie013LENNON » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:01 pm

I am sorry i am not so into the taoism, so my question is, do you think was "professor cheng man-chíng a master of tao?

laotan

Post by laotan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:48 am

bowie013LENNON wrote:I am sorry i am not so into the taoism, so my question is, do you think was "professor cheng man-chíng a master of tao?
Never heard of this "professor". As for the Tao masters you must read the above Lao-tzu's quote to learn how one can recognize them.