Greetings From a New Member

Tell us about your interest in Taoism. How did you find the Tao and what it means to you? Are you a practitioner? What you hope to attain through your practice?

Moderator: laotan

Different_Daoist

Greetings From a New Member

Post by Different_Daoist »

Hello I just joined Taoism Forum today (May 2nd, 2016) here in the USA. :)

I've been absorbed in Philosophical Daoism since around 2005, and I decided to join here and see if I could learn something new.

I thought that I'd explain my screen name first. I wanted it to be "Differently Abled Daoist" because I'm semi disabled, but the server told me that that name was too long, so I had to break it down to 'Different Daoist'.

That sort of describes me too. I don't know if I believe in Daoism as a religion at all, but I DO hold the Dao de Jing to be a wonderful guide book for living a one pointed life (well actually there are many points, but I believe that you get my meaning here).

It's been a kind of different day for me then most, so perhaps it's auspicious that I joined here today, of all days.

Well, I look forward to learning along with the rest of you, and I hope that we can all learn from Laozi together, and I look forward to that.

I WOULD like ask if anyone else here has read the 'Tao Te Ching' translated by Robert Brookes. I've been reading and studying it as of late, and find it to be a very good translation of the Dao de Jing.

If anyone else here has read Robert Brookes translation, I'd like to chat with you about Mr. Brookes translation. My very favorite translation of the TTC/DDJ is Red Pine's Taoteching. This is a Canadian version of the TTC that really speaks to me!

Well, Blessings and best regards, Different Daoist

laotan

Re: Greetings From a New Member

Post by laotan »

Different_Daoist wrote:Hello I just joined Taoism Forum today (May 2nd, 2016) here in the USA. :)

If anyone else here has read Robert Brookes translation, I'd like to chat with you about Mr. Brookes translation. My very favorite translation of the TTC/DDJ is Red Pine's Taoteching. This is a Canadian version of the TTC that really speaks to me!

Well, Blessings and best regards, Different Daoist
I didn't read that version so I can't chat about it. Perhaps others did.